[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? [tagging]

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 03:40:03 GMT 2009

It's laziness in the language - doctors is the short hand form of
"doctor's surgery/office/place". Some (me included) would write it as
doctor's, though the shortened form sometimes loses the apostrophe. It
has nothing to do with how many doctors there are.  "I'm going to the
doctor's" is talking about the place, "I'm going to the doctor" is
talking about the person.

As we are marking the location, not the person, doctors is arguably
more accurate. Quite possibly more confusing, though, specially for
those unskilled in English slang. Personally, I don't care, but it
would be nice to have a recommended form.

Stephen