[OSM-talk] Australian suburb boundaries

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sun Feb 22 09:07:00 GMT 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 01:08:13PM +1100, Franc Carter wrote:
> The Australian Bureau of Statistics has boundaries for the suburbs in
> Australia under
> a compatible license (and we have official permission).
>
> The talk-au list has been discussing the import and the current thoughts are
> here:-
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue/ABS_Data#OSM_Representation
>
> I'd be appreciate people having a look at what we are proposing and give
> some
> feedback.

Looks good. As for the relation stuff: Look here for advanced
multipolygon relations:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Relation:multipolygon#Advanced_multipolygons
This should have moved up into the normal page from discussions long ago
but nobody had the time to do it. JOSM supports those multipolygons now.

And then put boundary=administrative, admin_level=<whatever> and the
name and other tags on the relations.

> Also, any pointers/caveats on how to actually run the upload so that the
> server doesn't
> get swamped while it runs.

Actually the servers take quite good care of themselves these days.
Depends on how much data it is, though. We did an import of county
borders in Germany recently. It ran for many hours and the server
didn't show any signs of problems. (We looked at the munin graphs.) You
might want to get in touch with Tom Hughes beforehand and ask him.

Just one tip: When we imported the borders we imported all the nodes
first and then the ways. But because it took so long other people in
between deleted some of the "unnecessary" nodes. This caused some
problems which we had to fix later. So you should import each way
directly after you imported the nodes for it.

Jochen