[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? [tagging]

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Feb 24 09:56:37 GMT 2009

2009/2/23 Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net>:

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:46:09 +0100, Guenther Meyer <d.s.e at sordidmusic.com>
> wrote:
>> because...
>>
>> 1. ... every application trying to use the data has to deal with several
>> taggings for the same thing. that's an unnecessary waste of resources.
>> a script running on the database can minimize this waste, and
> furthermore,
>> can
>> fix typos in tags, which are also found all over the database.
>>
>> 2. ... it is easier for new mappers to have one documented tag for one
>> feature, instead of having to choose...
>
> I completely agree.
>
> There is no benefit in this case for us to have two or more tags that
> describe exactly the same thing *.

True.

> Moreover, nobody has expressed a good argument for not running bots that
> correct small mistakes when there has been a general agreement that one tag
> is preferable over another. Just imagine the great, unusable grey goo that
> would result if OSM offers a database with catholic, Catholic, cahtolic,
> etc. because somebody thinks it's a bad idea to run a bot on it.

Right. You really haven't thought this through. You've gone and
assumed the bot worked and didn't have some nasty weird side effect.
The big problem with the bots that most people out there would write
is that they'd forget about context, or cases that might not match
what they thought was happening. Xybot already had fun with all the
denomination tags... and I'm not entirely sure, but I think it may
have wiped out a particular Scottish denomination in the process...
the fact that I'm not entirely sure means there's zero chance the
xybot author knew what he was doing.

What you want is this: a validation tool so that users with a brain
can figure it out for themselves.

> Can we please:
> 1. put this silly argument to rest,
> 2. agree on the tag used by JOSM,
> 3. document it on the wiki,
> 4. add this case to a general "typos" bot that is run on a regular basis,
> 5. get back to something useful.

1. sure
2. don't care
3. fine
4. PLEASE GOD NO!!
5. Like writing a validation tool and banning bots? Sure.

Dave