[OSM-talk] Locating objects in Google Maps/Earth

LeedsTracker leedstracker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 09:58:57 GMT 2009

2009/2/24 Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk>:
> 2009/2/24 Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>:
>> On Monday 23 February 2009 19:52:37 LeedsTracker wrote:
>>> E.g. I take a photo of a level crossing, locate in in Google Maps,
>>> upload and tag it in WikiMedia Commons - no problem it seems.
>>>
>>> Is this different from using the same method to adjust the level
>>> crossing node in OSM accordingly?
>>
>> and just suppose that the location of this particular level crossing in google
>> maps is an easter egg?
>
> And what if a thousand of us get a thousand level crossing locations
> from google maps?... OSM now has all of google's level crossings. I'm
> fairly sure they'd complain (or their map provider would).

Again, I meant from their satellite images, not their maps. If we
managed, from that, to derive 1000 or 1000000 level crossings over the
normal course of events (i.e. years), would that be OK? Nic's reply
suggests so.

> Please don't use Google Maps when doing OSM. It's just not worth the risk.

I understand that this is a safe and wise rule, but as Wikimedia
Commons' site suggests (and Nic's reply, commenting on talk-legal
discussions), there may be a fair use (or fair dealing) for rectifying
the location of an object this way.

Yours devils-advocately,
LT