[OSM-talk] Locating objects in Google Maps/Earth

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Feb 24 11:10:27 GMT 2009

On 24/02/2009 09:58, LeedsTracker wrote:
>> Please don't use Google Maps when doing OSM. It's just not worth the risk.
>
> I understand that this is a safe and wise rule, but as Wikimedia
> Commons' site suggests (and Nic's reply, commenting on talk-legal
> discussions), there may be a fair use (or fair dealing) for rectifying
> the location of an object this way.
>
> Yours devils-advocately,

If there "is", i.e. there's been a test case where it was definitively
decided, then that's one thing, but if there "may be" then also there
"may not be" and that means you'd only find out when Google or their
provider closes OSM down under threat of millions of dollars of
lawsuits. So just don't do it if there's doubt, I say.

The whole basis of OSM is that we don't derive data from copyright
sources without explicit permission.

David