[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? [tagging]

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 15:35:08 GMT 2009

>Actually that raises another issue (notwithstanding the point below) -
>in cases where the legal status is only available on either a copyright
>map (either bought or on the wall at the local council) - it's sometimes
>not possible to know what the legal status of all traffic on e.g. a
>former railway line is.

I'm not 100% sure whether the status on a council map is copyright
actually - this has come up several times but never been definitively
resolved. While the council maps are overlaid on an OS map, presumably the
*council* decides the status of the path, so while the course of the path
might be subject to copyright, I would assume that the status on a
definitive council map is not. Also I distinctly remember one council (W
Sussex) mentioning "public domain data overlaid on a copyrighted OS map".
However I don't *know* this as *fact*, so do not use them as a source for
status unless someone has definitely said that it's OK.

Nick