[OSM-talk] Locating objects in Google Maps/Earth

LeedsTracker leedstracker at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 16:00:22 GMT 2009

2009/2/24 Donald Allwright <donald_allwright at yahoo.com>:
>>> Please don't use Google Maps when doing OSM. It's just not worth the
>>> risk.
>>
>>I understand that this is a safe and wise rule, but as Wikimedia
>>Commons' site suggests (and Nic's reply, commenting on talk-legal
>>discussions), there may be a fair use (or fair dealing) for rectifying
>>the location of an object this way.
>
> The concept of fair use is something which differs from one jurisdiction to
> another. [snip]

I know, though the principle is in UK law:
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use

With Google and OSM users being in many countries, I accept it's a
legal headache

> Just go out with a GPS to take an accurate
> position, or use another data source that we have a right to use. [snip]

I do. To be clear, I'm not advocating using Gmaps/G-earth for OSM, I
was just puzzled by the (apparently unproblematic) use of it in
Wikimedia and wondered if a parallel use was justifiable.

Also, I can't see what Google would gain by stopping Wikimedia users
from geolocating their pics, while OSM is eventually going to compete
with gmaps.

2009/2/24 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>:
> The whole basis of OSM is that we don't derive data from copyright sources without explicit permission.

I guess this is the bottom line. As Nic replied, very limited usage
might be defensible, but best not to have anything to defend.

regards,
LT