[OSM-talk] amenity=doctor or amenity=doctors ? [tagging]

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Feb 24 20:22:21 GMT 2009

Gustav Foseid wrote:
> They do, however, make pretty much sense in many other parts of
> the world. I see no good reason why the (very UK specific) right of
> way tags should not be something like uk_row:foot=,
> uk_row:briddleway= and so on.

A UK Right of Way legal status, unsurprisingly, is much more nuanced than
simply "horse yes, bicycle yes, foot yes, car no".

So, in itself, it's a valuable piece of information to store in the
database.

Rather than just approximating this with 5,000 OSM tags, let's be precise.
Use a general tag such as "highway=track" so the path is routable/renderable
and so on, but augment with "designation=uk:restricted_byway", so those
applications which want to parse the detailed information can do so.

cheers
Richard