[OSM-talk] rights of way and designation=*

Mike Harris mikh43 at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 26 16:51:23 GMT 2009

Robert

Unfortunately no such thing as a "UK public footpath" as the term "public
footpath" only has - afaik - a legal meaning in England and Wales - but I
still agree with Ed and therefore by extension with your conclusion even if
not with the rationale (:>)

United Kingdom = England + Wales + Scotland + Northern Ireland
Great Britain  = England + Wales + Scotland
British Isles  = England + Wales + Scotland + Northern Ireland + Republic of
Ireland
Little Britain = Amusing satirical TV programme, mostly seen in the United
Kingdom
New Britain    = an island in Papua New Guinea

Scotland has a completely different legal system to England & Wales.

Mike