[OSM-talk] oneway yes or true

Andy Robinson ajrlists at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 27 22:42:56 GMT 2009

David Earl wrote:
> I can't help feeling the effort that I've noticed some contributors are
> putting into manually changing oneway=yes to oneway=true would be better
> spent doing something more useful.
>
> JOSM's preset puts it in as 'yes' (and that's what nearly everyone was
> doing when I started). Who's to say what the right answer is when there
> is no right answer.
>
> Lewis Carroll said:
>
> They wept like anything to see
> Such quantities of sand:
> "If this were only cleared away,"
> They said, "it would be grand!"
>
> "If seven maids with seven mops
> Swept it for half a year.
> Do you suppose," the Walrus said,
> "That they could get it clear?"
> "I doubt it," said the Carpenter,
> And shed a bitter tear.
>

> David

David,

Clearly you have run out of mapping to find time to spot this :-D

I recall the very early discussions and the first draft of Map Features
that we said it really didn't matter too hoots whether it was yes/true/1
as there was enough understanding in the value to know what it meant.
I'm still tagging most stuff with "true" and I can't give a reason why.
I'm not even remotely coding orientated so why I should have picked
true/false over yes/no I cannot say.

But like you, the time making the change is wasted. Far more productive
to go and map something.

Cheers

Andy