[OSM-talk] Keep Mapnik relevant

Thu Jan 1 22:53:07 GMT 2009

Chris Hill wrote:
> I notice that abandoned railways are now being rendered on Mapnik.

I've been tagging local disused pubs with disused=yes and hoping that
the renderer will catch up with what was agreed in the wiki for some
time now :) Unfortunately there's an increasing number of boarded-up
pubs round here :(

So I raised

   http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/1085
   http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/1079

and someone else raises

   http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/1268

so go figure. There's clearly a bit of disagreement about whether
disused and abandoned stuff should be shown. IMO they should not, not on
the Mapnik rendering at least. The prettiest, first-impression,
public-facing view should only contain active services and amenities,
ditto rail lines, roads, canals etc. because the average user will only
care about what's relevant and useful right now.

Tongue-in-cheek suggestion: new tag, visible=yes/no or relevant=yes/no.

--
Andrew Chadwick