[OSM-talk] Maritme borders

Steven te Brinke s.tebrinke at student.utwente.nl
Fri Jan 2 19:58:45 GMT 2009

IMO, the proposal of Gustav is better, because maritime borders clearly
are administrative. Martijn suggests that there is a clear difference
between country and maritime borders. However, it are different
properties of a border: a border can be one or both. The half of the
Dutch country border is a maritime border. So I would propose to use
boundary=administrative on all maritime borders and use another tag to
distinguish them.
Currently, borders are distinguished by admin_level. The wiki tells
about admin_level: "admin_level
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level>=1 to 10 has been
introduced in order that different borders can be rendered consistently
among countries (doing this based on border_type would require knowledge
of their hierarchy in each country)." Based on this information, I
conclude that every border has a border_type, but we tag it as
admin_level for convenience. For example: border_type=province and
inside(The Netherlands) implies admin_level=4. We mainly tag the
admin_level only, because that one is the easier for rendering, but we
think about it as border types and sometimes tag border_type too. So I
would propose to use border_type for any border that has no admin_level
defined. Thus the territorial sea will have admin_level=2 because it's a
country border, but any other maritime border will only have border_type
set. That works quite well with the current tagging: border_type is
optional when admin_level is set, required otherwise. Also for rendering
it's no problem: render borders based on admin_level and when that one's
empty, use border_type. The only thing that remains is: which
border_types are possible? Probably exclusive_economic_zone will be one
of them.

Steven