[OSM-talk] Which entry level budget garmin

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Mon Jan 5 15:05:23 GMT 2009

2009/1/5 Erik Johansson <emj at kth.se>

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 2:22 PM, D Tucny <d at tucny.com> wrote:
> > the 200
> > series models that are available are expensive enough (the 205 being
> > equivalent to 215 British pounds, amazon US price of $136 equivalent to
> 93
> > pounds),
>
> Wonder if that has to do with cost of topomaps? They are at least
> infinitive number of times more expensive in the UK than in the US.

Well, I'm not in the UK, I'm in Asia, I was just using pounds to allow for
comparison... Also, the garmin car navigation devices I've seen here have
been limited to street data, no topo data... That said, UK pricing for
Garmin devices did seem to be considerably higher than US pricing too when I
last looked, but, many, especially technology, imports to the UK tend be
priced at around the same number of pounds as dollars, if not more, even
when there were two dollars to the pound :(...