[OSM-talk] Which entry level budget garmin

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 5 18:35:37 GMT 2009

Tanveer Singh schrieb:
> I am getting a garmin in car unit(<$200)
> Needless to day the following two functionalities are needed
> 1. Read OSM maps(all nuvi can read from SD card)
> 2. Write gpx data with altitude and timestamp info
>
> The second point has gotten me stumped a bit, and I am torn between 3 models
> 205, 260 and 265T.
> the 205 is the cheapest, and apparently some sites say I cannot dump
> GPX tracks to SD card. Is it true?
> Moreover I want to know if there is an auto option for dumping tracks.
> I don't want it to dump tracks every second or so(which causes points
> to be dumped even when stationary).
>
> Are there any users here of the 205?
> What is the longest log you have dumped?
>
> I do a lot of mountain roads through foliage, will the nuvi 205 have
> problem getting signal in trees and all, if so what else should I be
> looking at.
>
> The budget -> Lower the better!
>

> PS: I chose garmin because OSM->garmin is the least painful and most doable.

I'm owning a 200W - no dump possible.

I'm also owning a zumo550 (motorcycle specific) and I'm still unsure if
it's using "match to street" for the dump so it's not useful for OSM
because of copyright problems (so even if the nuvi can dump tracks they
might not be usable).

In the end it might be easier (and not even a lot more expensive) to buy
a cheap car navi (Garmin 200W ~100EUR) for navigation and a cheap GPS
logger (Wintec WBT 201 ~ 100EUR) or Outdoor GPS (Garmin eTrex ~150 EUR)
for logging.

To me this is far more useful than having one device doing nothing right ;-)

Regards, ULFL