[OSM-talk] Which entry level budget garmin

Tanveer Singh tanveer1979 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 04:55:33 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 9:26 AM, D Tucny <d at tucny.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/6 Tanveer Singh <tanveer1979 at gmail.com>
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping at googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > In the end it might be easier (and not even a lot more expensive) to buy
>> > cheap car navi (Garmin 200W ~100EUR) for navigation and a cheap GPS
>> > logger
>> > (Wintec WBT 201 ~ 100EUR) or Outdoor GPS (Garmin eTrex ~150 EUR) for
>> > logging.
>> >
>> > To me this is far more useful than having one device doing nothing right
>> > ;-)
>> >
>> > Regards, ULFL
>> >

>> If you use track type=off road and turn off snap to road in settings,
>> it will not snap track to map.
>
> I think ULFL's point was that with his Zumo there isn't such a configuration
> option, so while it does save track logs, he's not confident that they are
> acceptable due to the potential that it is just snapping to road and as
> such, copying the copywrited built in maps rather than saving tracks based
> on the GPS recorded position... A nuvi could have this problem too if this
> is not configurable...
If not garmin, then what else? i am looking for an in car unit with
atleast 3.5" screen and ability to read OSM maps as well as save
tracklofs. A windows CE unit will also suffice.
If nothing works, I will get one of those chinese win CE units.
Since its windows CE, software control is with me, but the question is
that how reliable they are