[OSM-talk] Invisible coastline errors in Potlatch

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Jan 6 10:43:08 GMT 2009

Peter Miller wrote:
> Potlatch does sometime create duplicate ways for me when I
> splits features. These duplicates are invisible using Potlatch
> and the quantity of them varies from occasion to occasion.

This is a server issue more than anything else: it happens in times of
server slowness. I got it a couple of times this Sunday afternoon.

In short, splitting way B off from way A requires two writes: one of way B,
then one of the new, shorter way A
(http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/editors/potlatch/way.as#L576).
If the second write fails, then the points in B will still be in A too.

The solution is either to move splitting ways entirely to the server (so,
although the user hits 'split', the way isn't actually split until the
server returns a message), or to fix the server. I'd be interested to know
_why_ the server runs so slowly at certain times.

I'm not convinced API 0.6 will help: indeed, I suspect it may lead to
increased server load. But others will know more than me.

cheers
Richard