[OSM-talk] OSM on Garmin - raster tiles?

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 19:15:23 GMT 2009

Gervase Markham wrote:
> When I heard about the possibility of "OSM on Garmin", I imagined
> something like the Mapnik Slippy Map on my GPS screen. Now I have a
> Legend HCx, it turns out that I get the Garmin vector rendering with OSM
> data behind it. This is clearly much better than nothing, but does the
> gmapsupp.img format support stuffing in a load of raster tiles, or is it
> vector data only? (Obviously, you'd lose the ability to route with raster.)
>
> Gerv

IMHO converting OSM vector data into raster images and then showing them
on a Garmin unit would mean losing a lot of quality and speed, not to
mention how much more memory card space such maps would consume. And, as
you mentioned, you loose the ability to select map objects.
Bitmaps on Garmin would be nice for data which is originally stored as
bitmaps (like satellite imagery) or for hill shading. I'm working on a
new mapmaker tool for Garmin maps
(http://igorbrejc.net/development/continuous-integration/groundtruth-a-new-garmin-mapmaking-tool).
I haven't planned any support for bitmaps, but now it got me into
thinking - maybe I'll add it after all ;)

Igor

--

http://igorbrejc.net