[OSM-talk] Which entry level budget garmin

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 00:43:35 GMT 2009

I didn't give it because I didn't remember, and it isn't what he's
looking for.  It was the testing of the snap-to road functions and the
track-logging I remembered.  It is a Mio PDA, model 7nn (720, 730?).
I can't look it up right now because I loaned it to somebody for the
Christmas holidays, and haven't got it back yet.  It works fine as a
PDA, which is why I was given it. The GPS unit was an unexpected
extra.  When it is turned on, the battery life of the unit goes down
to 15-20 minutes, which basically makes it unusable as a portable GPS.
 Works fine in the car, while attached to a power supply, though. The
GPS software is on a seperate SD card, and the track logs go into a
directory on that card as NMEA sentences, which GPSBABEL can convert
to gpx. I can access the GPS directly from the PDA, so I could load
Gosmore or another package, but I haven't bothered, as for my normal
day to day mapping, I use a handheld Garmin unit on a bike mount.

Stephen