[OSM-talk] [Spam] Re: Err, what?

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Jan 7 12:44:14 GMT 2009

On 7 Jan 2009, at 10:57, andrzej zaborowski wrote:

> 2009/1/7 Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>:
>> Jonathan Bennett wrote:
>>
>>> Is this our first bit of large-scale vandalism?
>>>
>>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=40.78377&lon=-119.20424&zoom=16&layers=00B0FTF
>>
>> What exactly are you referring to? All I can see there is Black Rock
>> City, aka the site of Burning Man.
>
> Yep, it's real..
> (http://images.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.gentoo:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=es&q=black+rock+city&lr=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title
> )
>
> Seems to be very precise, I wonder if it's an import of an official
> map from the organization.

Great stuff. I love Burning Man and hope to attend one year. This
raises the whole question around temporary maps - ie for 50 weeks of
the year this is empty desert and for 2 weeks it looks like this.
Another example is Glastonbury Festival which for 50 weeks looks like
a farm and for 2 weeks is the second largest settlement in Wiltshire.

btw, what are we going to do for Glastonbury this year? The road
layout changes, with some roads closed to certain forms of transport,
there are road blocks that only allow ticket holders and pass holders
(including local people) past them and there is a temporary one ways
system imposed on local roads there is a new coach station and buses
to the train station. The answer might be 'nothing' but it is an
important question for OSM going forward.

Here are some different maps for Glastonbury showing different views
of the fetival
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gvygDy8vq4D6/610x.jpg
http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/uploadedImages/Information/FineGuide/fineguidemap2008-1280(1).jpg
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glastonbury/map.gif