[OSM-talk] Temporary Items, overlays, changes

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Thu Jan 8 10:21:20 GMT 2009

On 07/01/09 22:50, Stephen Hope wrote:
> We already have historical tagged items - things
> that don't currently exist. (US Civil war battlesites, etc).

Battlesites are different, they are still around in some way. You can
still go to a field and there'll be sign saying "The Battle of X took
place here", so it's a valid thing to map.

That's not the same as an old road that has been dug up and is now
someone's back garden.

> There is a festival near me that lasts for 1 1/2 weeks each year. Some
> people start camping there two-three weeks early to get a good spot.
> The rest of the year there is a couple of permanent roads, with a lot
> of permanent toilets and not much else, in the middle of some state
> forest. I would like to map the site next time it occurs, and then
> leave the temporary ways in a disused state, but in the database so
> it's easy to turn them on again when they actually exist.

That sounds like a good idea. The permanent features should be mapped
for sure. Some sort of disused tag sounds like a the right thing to do.

Rory