[OSM-talk] Tag proposal - leisure=bird_hide

LeedsTracker leedstracker at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 18:18:45 GMT 2009

2009/1/12 Colin McGregor <colin.mc151 at gmail.com>:
> On 1/12/09, LeedsTracker <leedstracker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I would like to propose a new tag for a bird hide:
>>
>> leisure=bird_hide
>
> Let me play devils advocate here and wonder if bird hide overlaps with
> this proposal:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/hunting_blind
>
> Both the bird hide and hunting blind are places for people to hide
> from wild creatures. Granted one has the goal of staying hidden from
> wild creatures, the other calls for staying hidden until the creatures
> in question are close enough to be shot at... Still, both seem to be
> fairly similar structures, and both are typically a "leasure"
> activity...

The other thing is that if I was a bird watcher looking at a map, I
would not bother going to a hunting blind (at least during shooting
season) for obvious reasons.

Not sure if/how these could be merged because of this functional
distinction. Leisure=hide isn't quite enough.

Leisure=wildlife_hide is a fair alternative to bird_hide (could
include places to watch badgers, bears, deer ?)

As an aside, in my experience, avid birders can be quite 'geeky'
(using the term positively) and completist (ticking of species they've
spotted). Adding to OSM might appeal to such folk.

cheers,
LT