[OSM-talk] OSM and Linked Data, and W3C, etc ...

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 18:07:12 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:58 AM, Grant Slater
<openstreetmap at firefishy.com>wrote:

> Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> > What sort of help do you think OSM will need? Money to run servers if
> > the load increases?  An existing standards org with facilities and
> > process for the API and the XML format? What was it you had in mind?
> >

> Yes, the OSM Foundation is badly in need of extra money (or highend
> hardware) to fund the next round of server hardware upgrades. In most
> cases we are already close to server capacity.
>
> We've also started looking for an additional hosting provider.

I think it would be very handy to have a couple database experts that are
not attached to OSM and its current setup look at the plans for API 0.6 as a
code and design review. I haven't seen much about 0.6 (and I'm not trying to
bash the progress that has been made), but I imagine that getting a few
fresh eyeballs on its design would be extremely helpful for OSM in the long
run.

Perhaps Tim might be able to recommend someone to talk to about this.