[OSM-talk] data import in Belarus

Sarah Manley sarah at cloudmade.com
Tue Jan 13 21:14:47 GMT 2009

Dear All,

I am writing on behalf of someone I met at a LUG meeting I spoke at
who is concerned that the data imported for Belarus has a copyright
attached to it.
I sent him this link:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Belarus#OpenStreetMap_.D0.91.D0.B5.D0.BB.D0.B0.D1.80.D1.83.D1.81.D1.8C_.2F_OpenStreetMap_Belarus

Below here is his response:
"Copyrights law of Belarus
(http://www.law.by/work/EnglPortal.nsf/6e1a652fbefce34ac2256d910056d559/7e18184c14ae0e6bc2256dec0042400c?OpenDocument
)
list maps and databases as object of copyrights (article 7) and
doesn't exempt government works of such nature (article 8). I think
will be good idea if OpenStreetMap will require official
confirmationsin such exports since (AFAIK) public domain status of US
federal
government is exception, not a rule."

I am not familiar with the imports/OSM work in Belarus, is anyone else?

Sarah Manley
Sarah at cloudmade.com
Cell: 631-338-3815
Skype: Sarah_cloudmade