[OSM-talk] name tags on place=country and how they're rendered on lowzoom

Donald Allwright donald_allwright at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 14:12:27 GMT 2009

>Software can only gues the language of the default name from an
>identical name value with a specified language.

>eg:
>name=Venezia
>name:en=Venice
>name:sl=Benetke
>name:de=Venedig
>can additonally be tagged with
>name:it=Venezia
>
>This could be used to make nice maps of default languages, if only it
>was used more than just on major cities (smaller places rarely have
>foreign names)

How would you deal with something like:
name=Paris
name:fr=Paris
name:es=Paris
name:en=Paris
?
You can't really tell the default language from this. It would only work if we can guarantee that only where the name is different in a specific language is it tagged - I've not checked but I'd guess there are lots of examples of (strictly speaking superfluous) tags like this. There will also be cases where the only difference is an accent on a letter - this will work if correctly tagged, but there will probably be a lot of errors in the tagging where an accent missed off in the native language. (e.g. Peru vs Perú).

Cheers,
Donald