[OSM-talk] Potlatch on Asus EEE 901

S Knox roxyknox at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 17 17:37:15 GMT 2009

Dear All,

Just sharing some experiences on the above. I have to admit that this is the first time that I've had Linux installed on a computer, so there may be something I'm missing through lack of experience.

I've got the default Xandros installed with Firefox 2.0.0.14 and Flash 9, and also Mint Linux 6 with Firefox 3.0.5 and with flash 10. I found that the Mint Firefox was very slow with Potlatch, and the player kept locking up and having to refresh the page. It worked slightly better with Xandros, and after some research I discovered that some people were having a lot of problems with Flash 10 on Linux. This prompted me to downgrade to Flash 9 http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb406791 . That seemed to fix the worst of the problems.

I still find it very slow compared to Windows both on IE 7 and Firefox 3, but from what I have read that is to be expected. One thing I can't get working on the EEE is the Yahoo imagery, which is a shame. Does anyone have any ideas - it seems to be something related to the screen size. I've seen the wiki page at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Eee so will try and update that too.

Best
Steve