[OSM-talk] name tags on place=country and how they're rendered on lowzoom

Hakan Tandogan hakan at gurkensalat.com
Mon Jan 19 15:18:33 GMT 2009

On Thu, January 15, 2009 14:31, Stefan Baebler wrote:
>>> where is a local language being set for a country or a region?
>> It isn't at all. The software doesn't know which language "name" is in,
>> only the mapper does.
> Software can only gues the language of the default name from an
> identical name value with a specified language.
>
> eg:
> name=Venezia name:en=Venice
> name:sl=Benetke
> name:de=Venedig
> can additonally be tagged with name:it=Venezia
>

> This could be used to make nice maps of default languages, if only it
> was used more than just on major cities (smaller places rarely have foreign
> names)
>
> With just one tag precisely describing the name (with language) all
> other translations could be pulled from wikipedia (enriching maps with
> additional languages) when needed eg such precise tag could be
> wikipedia:en=Venice

This is one reason why I add the geonames ID of country objects to the
node. If necessary, a renderer could pull additional names from geonames,
if / when they become available, without having to go to Wikipedia and
parse the information found there.

Mind you, I'm adding just the geonames ID, not the data found there ;-)

Regards,
Hakan

--
The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering...