[OSM-talk] name tags on place=country and how they're rendered on lowzoom

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 20:15:21 GMT 2009

2009/1/19 vegard <vegard at engen.priv.no>:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:01:17PM +0100, andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering about links to wikipedia in national languages and
>> asked about it on IRC recently and settled on tagging with
>> wikipedia=en:Venice rather than wikipedia:en=Venice (actually I use
>> the form wikipedia=<language>:Page_Title only for non-english articles
>> and wikipedia=Page_Title if English is available).  I try to tag not
>> only major place names but also anything else that has a page.
>>
>> Using "wikipedia=" instead of "wikipedia:<language>=" is good because
>> it strongly suggests that there is only one such tag per object
>> instead of many and avoids having conflicting translations with those
>> in wikipedia.
>>

> This, I do not agree with at all. And your example is very good to
> demonstrate :)
>
> Why shouldn't the italian version of the page,
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezia, be the authorative page, It looks
> a little bit larger and more extensive.

Sure, I'm not saying English is preferred or authoritative.. just how
to tag it.  In case of an italian city node, you may want to use
wikipedia=it:Venezia, but it doesn't really make any difference
because pages on the different wikipedias are all interlinked.

Since the wikipedia= tag is already documented on the wiki and was
used for linking to english articles on WP, for "compatibility" with
what's already there I leave out the "en:" part if it's in english
(not otherwise).

Cheers