[OSM-talk] Redundant post box

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Mon Jan 19 21:14:01 GMT 2009

On 19 Jan 2009, at 20:33, LeedsTracker wrote:

> 2009/1/19 Ciaran Mooney <general.mooney at googlemail.com>:
>> Whilst trying to find post box references in my area, I found quite a
>> few post boxes that are no longer being used. They are still there,
>> and I doubt they will be removed any time soon. However they are
>> no-longer an amenity, as no post will be collected from them.
>>
>> What is the current procedure for tagging these types of post boxes?
>> The wiki page for the amenity=post_box tag doesn't provide any
>> suggestions.
>
> I guess disused=yes for starters
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:disused
>
> I guess they'd still render though. Perhaps a different icon would
> be useful.

NO Using that method will mean that anything that uses
amenity=post_box needs to be updated with, in some cases some really
awkward logic.

Use something like amenity=old_post_box or old_amenity=post_box or
amenity=disused_post_box, or maybe even doing something like the
construction tag: amenity=disused; disused=post_box. This is better
because current users of the the data looking for something current
don't have to change or look at some other tags to discover if it is
still currently an amenity.

Shaun