[OSM-talk] The coast is clear (almost!)

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Tue Jan 20 03:52:05 GMT 2009

I take no credit for this, but the world's coastline is now completely
clear (well very very nearly clear anyway). This is a huge result for
the project and one for which we own thanks to a small number of
dedicated volunteers who have self-organised themselves to do this job
without any fanfare.

You can admire a very non-red map here:
http://tile.openstreetmap.nl/coastlines.html

I published also a few images on Flickr to show who had been doing
most of the work....

Asia, Europe, Australia and Africa here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterito/3120831637/in/pool-itomedia

The Americas here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/itoworld/3153798708/in/pool-itomedia

Here are the currently outstanding issues (most probably only a few
days old):

There is a single problem in the bay area of the USA, one in Florida,
one in India and one in Australia (these are probably errors that have
been introduced in the past few days). There is also a false problem
reported for an island that crosses +180 degrees and another for
Antarctica for the same reason. There are also some reported problems,
possible also false, for the some islands off the Swedish coast. This
Swedish issue was discussed on this list a week or so ago but I didn't
follow the discussion.

It would be great if we could get to the point where the editors/API
would refuse to accept updates that broken the coastline however I
realise that this is something for later. For now we need to continue
to 'patrol' the coastline on a regular basis and just say 'thanks
folks!'

Regards,

Peter