[OSM-talk] How to create a tramway?

Rotbarsch rotb at gmx-topmail.de
Tue Jan 20 14:21:52 GMT 2009

Hi René!

Just have a look on an example:

<http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.42691&lon=7.047989&zoom=18&layers=B000FTTTT>

> For separate tracks I found two possibilities 'tramway' and
> 'railway=tram' - when to use which?
Railway=tram worked fine in my case.

> If the railway direct on the street I saw that you just make a track
> 'highway' and 'railway'
This also works fine (e.g. highway=secondary, railway=tram)
> - but how do I add the name of the lines that
> actually drive on that tracks?

For that just add every highway with railway=tram and every
railway=tram way to a route relation like it is also done in the above
mentioned example:

Ralation 56829
name=Linie 105
network=VRR
operator=Essener Verkehrs AG
ref=105
route=tram
type=route

The results is very nicely mapped on German ÖPNV-Karte:

<http://www.xn--pnvkarte-m4a.de/?lat=51.42691&lon=7.047989&zoom=18>

It is a good idea to document it on the wiki like it is done here:

<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Essen#Stra.C3.9Fenbahnnetz>

 From there you get also the following link to check your relation:

<http://betaplace.emaitie.de/webapps.relation-analyzer/analyze.jsp?relationId=56829>

Best Regards und Schöne Grüße!