[OSM-talk] The coast is clear (almost!)

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 18:53:46 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Thomas Wood <grand.edgemaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/20 Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com>:
>>
>> I take no credit for this, but the world's coastline is now completely
>> clear (well very very nearly clear anyway). This is a huge result for
>> the project and one for which we own thanks to a small number of
>> dedicated volunteers who have self-organised themselves to do this job
>> without any fanfare.
>
> Wow, just as I was considering looking to see what else could be done
> to help with the coastlines tidyup! :)
> Good work to all who put in the effort!

Work on the coastline is still far from finished even though the
obvious errors have been tidied up, see for example:

http://informationfreeway.org/?lat=64.52053570085675&lon=-22.230163127764108&zoom=11&layers=B0000F000F
http://flickr.com/photos/avarab/3212614211/sizes/o/

The PGS import is wildly inaccurate in places, it didn't catch small
(and often several sq km) islands, confuses rivers for ocean etc.
Afaik the only viable way to fix this is to manually go over it and
draw it anew based on landsat imagery.