[OSM-talk] Anonymous editing

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 21:11:57 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> Yay for 0.6 going live in March.
>
> Can we take this opportunity to finally disable anonymous editing?

I'd certainly like to. If the consensus is that it's nothing to do
with 0.6 we can alternatively make it part of the relicensing :-)

> Postscript on all the usual stuff: no it doesn't mean people can find
> out where you are - you can still keep your GPS tracks private, it's
> just what you've edited. No you don't have to set a home location if
> you don't want to. No it's not a loss of privacy, you can make up a
> completely random username and no-one ever gets to know the e-mail
> address behind it. No it isn't anything to do with the licence. No
> we're not making existing anonymous work public, we're just asking
> them to go public from now on to continue editing.

I'd like to promote the term "untraceable editing" or something
similar. What we're left with is still anonymous, just that we
(non-server-admin) people can differentiate between two anonymous
accounts. We'll still have no idea who they are.

Cheers,
Andy

Kudos on your contacts list, btw. Wibble wibble.