[OSM-talk] Export too big

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Jan 22 10:05:07 GMT 2009

Raymond Bruman wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2009, at 12:52 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> Russ Nelson wrote:
>>
>>> Earlier today, I tried an export almost 10K x 6K pixels, and got a
>>> warning message saying that the export was too large.  Perhaps that
>>> message should contain a URL like
>>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Export_Too_Large
>>>   which would either be a page on its own, or a redirect to some other
>>> page's subsection, as needed.  I'm happy to write the text of that
>>> page if somebody can change the export code for me.
>>
>> Can you explain a bit more about exactly what you tried to do and what
>> the message you got was? Only the export tab doesn't give any such
>> errors as far as I can see.
>
> Hi!  I'm Ray Bruman, the guy with the
> original question, here to explain.

Whooah.... That's about 1000 times more information than I needed.

All I need to know is what options you are selecting on the export tab
and exactly what the error message says (though I can probably find that
myself given the options).

The critical point that I don't think you've mentioned is which layer
you are trying to export (mapnik or osmarender/tiles at home) and what
format you are trying to export it in.

I'm also not planning to change any limits, which seems to be what
you're suggesting, just to understand why you are getting an error that
I can't see anywhere in the source. The limits are there for good
reasons related to both server resources and ensuring that we don't
produce files that are unmanageable.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)