[OSM-talk] 26 languages

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 03:13:35 GMT 2009

> Hi,
>
> Lars Aronsson wrote:
>> After Portuguese and Afrikaans have been added, there are now 28
>> languages. But of the largest Wikipedia languages, we're still
>> missing Japanese (5th biggest) and Chinese (12th).
>
> Why bother educating the Chinese about OSM when they will be jailed
> trying to contribute?

The answer is simple and obvious, not all Chinese speaking people live
in China. I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and some 11% of the
population (over 280,000 people) is of Chinese decent, and relevant
for the likes of a Wikipedia entry, manages to support three daily
Chinese language newspapers...

So, for the benefit of oversees Chinese a Wikipedia entry would be a
good thing (the more mappers the better in my books).

Colin McGregor