[OSM-talk] [Tilesathome] Kerguelen Islands Missing

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Jan 26 00:38:10 GMT 2009

Hi,

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> I discover today that the Kergulen Islands are totally missing. Do a
>> contributor as I can do something to repair ?
>>
>>  * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerguelen_Islands
>>  *
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-49.3333&lon=69.3333&zoom=12&layers=B000FTF
>
> You can draw their coastline from landsat imagery, but I don't know
> why they weren't imported with the PGS import in the first place.

The are on the PGS tile "3". I have extracted the data and created an
OSM file; if anyone wants to work on this, it's here:

http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/kergueles.osm.gz

I have not uploaded this to the server because the coastline is very
buggy (lots of holes, whole stretches seem to be missing) and will
likely require the better part of a day's work to be made usable.

Wikimedia Commons has a PD map of the Kergueles with could perhaps
(through the Metacarta rectifier or similar) be used to aid the process:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kerguelen_Map.png

Bye
Frederik