[OSM-talk] Error in Google-Maps

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Thu Jan 29 00:27:45 GMT 2009

2009/1/29 D Tucny <d at tucny.com>

> 2009/1/28 andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com>
>
>> 2009/1/28 Jürgen Reimann <juergen.reimann at gmx.de>:
>> > Hello, please don't shoot me if I'm absolutely wrong at this place. I
>> want
>> > to ask what is to be done if a strange error in Google-Maps appears.
>>
>> This might be a wrong list to ask about Google Maps.
>>
>> > This map (like OSM) should also be free of strange mistakes. Does
>> anybody
>> > know, who (in person) is responsible for the information
>> > provided by Google-Maps. (I think even OSM is not absolutely correct in
>> this
>> > area - I have to check it this weekend).
>> > Please have a look at this area and you know what I mean:
>> >
>> http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=17&lat=51.12995&lon=6.46463&layers=B000TFFF
>>
>> Check out
>> http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=14&lat=-5.06418&lon=-39.0461&layers=B000TFFF
>> , this whole region on Google Maps is somebody's rich imagination and
>> lots of creativity.  Roads are > 20km off.
>>

> That looks like vmap0 level of quality...
>
> The vmap0 dataset seems to have been used by a number of mapping providers
> as at least the base for parts of the world where they have no coverage, the
> resolution is incredibly low and the quality is horrible... What it does do,
> is make it look like there is map coverage in an area that would otherwise
> just be blank, of course, it's of virtually no use to anyone...

Of course, OSM isn't perfect...

http://sautter.com/map/?zoom=11&lat=29.60689&lon=112.12921&layers=B000FTFF

I'm pretty sure there's no grid of motorways there... :/

There might be a grid of roads though, so seems like a new mapper
potentially needs some prodding towards the documentation... I'll go do
that...