[OSM-talk] "avoid-obstacles" algorithm

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:45:03 GMT 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Ivan Garcia <capiscuas at gmail.com> wrote:
> we would like to implement for disabled persons that will help them to find
> the route by avoiding obstacles or undesired areas in the map.
>
> An example of this is http://seamster.cs.umd.edu:8090/map/index.html , where
> you can add dinamically obstacles that you will not like to pass by.
>
> That means that we are looking for some open source software(or library)
> that allows us to do that. Another approach could be giving a high WEIGHT to
> some paths so that way the route algorithm will avoid passing by there.

There's existing routing software available which does transport-based
routing, i.e. different routes for motorvehicles, bicycles and foot
traffic:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routing

You could look at those and see how easy they'd be to alter to
understand the tagging scheme you plan on using for marking
accessibility for the disabled.