[OSM-talk] bengali on my JOSM won't work

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Sat Jan 31 08:46:07 GMT 2009

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:38:20 +0530
Vikas Yadav <vikas.yadav at threebrix.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was trying to add name:bn: কলকাতা to KolKata/Calcutta but JOSM shows me
> boxes.
> I install all fonts and my gedit renders correctly and also the browser (the
> wikipedia page for kolkata where I took the translation from).
> Please help.
[...]

It is almost certainly an issue with the locales supported
by Java. You will probably find that Hindi works. Which java
are you using (try "java -version")?

For Sun java, a list of supported locales might be found at
one of these places (for a different Sun Java version, try
changing the version number in the URL):
1.4.2: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/intl/locale.doc.html
1.5.0: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/locale.doc.html
java6:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/intl/locale.doc.html

Don't know Java well enough to tell if other locales can be
added. Your other alternative is to use Potlatch.

Regards,
Gora