[OSM-talk] Wiki: chriscf vandalism

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Jan 31 14:00:09 GMT 2009

Hi,

Nop wrote:
> I would consider it the basic principle of democracy/a community that
> things established by vote need to be changed by vote, even if the need
> for change is obvious.

Democracy usually means that the vote results decide something. (At
least in its textbook form it does.)

This is not true in OSM; we have votes, but they are never more than an
"indication". Our votes should perhaps better be called "straw polls".
Anyone can use a tag that has been rejected in such a poll, and
sometimes it gets even built into the renderers, and vice versa.

And that's a good thing. If we have clueless people voting, then it
would be hell to be bound by their decisions!

My personal main quarrel with chriscf is that he seems to take voting
seriously enough to disfigure the results in the wiki - he seems to
believe that voting actually counts for something and thus he can
further his causy by falsifying the results.

If we would just ignore the whole process saying that nobody cares
anyway, that would be much more to my liking.

I'm also opposed to the measures sketched by Peter Miller, like raising
the bar for acceptance and so on, because that would only lend the
process an importance it does not deserve.

Bye
Frederik