[OSM-talk] Wiki: chriscf vandalism

Mario Ferraro fadinlight at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 20:13:56 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I don't want to join the topic of this particular "vandalism", just a
little constructive proposal. Feel free to throw me lemons :)

IMHO the wiki is and in the future will be more unlikely to handle
"smoothly" ;) the voting and the map features, and it's prone to
vandalism like the one we're talking about.

What about a web application to handle all discussions and polls, that
think automatically about handling map features and all the related
things for the various communities? In that way we can handle the polls,
percentuals against total osm mappers, an eventual communication with
tag watch (and all the other rules we can imagine that could be sensible
for a feature approval) and that can be the all-inclusive reference
point for mappers to read features, propose announcements (RSS?) and
poll on them. It could output the map feature XML that is in current
development for applications. Furthermore, no way that a single person
can destroy everything with a single wiki edit.

I know that it would not be so immediate to produce such an application,
but if it's not started somewhere out there by someone (don't really
know), I will love to start the development myself (if it seems sensible
for someone else than me :))... and obviously will love if some other
dev wants to join.

We will just go on with the wiki and use the application when it will be
ready anytime in the future.

Just exploring the general mood.. what do you think?

Mario Ferraro