[OSM-talk] AAAA openstreetmap still doesn't use ipv6

Thomas Schäfer tschaefer at t-online.de
Wed Jul 1 19:25:54 BST 2009

Jonathan Bennett schrieb am Mittwoch 01 Juli 2009:
> Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> > No, the answer was not satisfying.
>
> What part of "it's not under our control" didn't you understand?

Do you mean this part of the answer from 2007:

"Well we're largely dependent on UCL (and Bytemark to a lesser extent)
being able to allocate us IPv6 addresses for our machines."

Have you asked ?  (this year, not in the Dark Ages)

Nearly all academic/unisversity networks support ipv6 (nl ,be, ch, de, fr, at,
cn, jp, pt, edu,....)

Openstreetmap is a very progressive project and it does not fit, if we are the
last member of the ipv6-internet.

bytemark has some infos to this topic:
http://www.bytemark.co.uk/support/technical_documents/ipv6

Also ucl is involved with projects in ipv6.

Make OPENSTREETMAP to the traffic-KILLER-APPLICATION for ipv6 at ucl !!

Lets solving the Chicken-and-egg problem in ipv6 by simply doing it.

Regards,

Thomas Schäfer