[OSM-talk] AAAA openstreetmap still doesn't use ipv6

Thomas Schäfer tschaefer at t-online.de
Wed Jul 1 22:08:42 BST 2009

Am Mittwoch 01 Juli 2009 schrieb Frederik Ramm:
> Hi,
>
> Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> > Discussions about Ipv6 is not wasted hot air. It is related to osm,
> > because osm should be based on it, but isn't. It shoud simply be done,
> > then is no further discussion about it.
>
> Let's be pragmatic here like we usually are. If we were to switch to
> IPv6 today (which I understand we can't but let's assume we could), what
> part of OSM would work better tomorrow?

We ensure that also the first ipv6-only computers can access osm too.

It is not the question of to be better. The question of to be.

For sotm we have "OSI Scholarships program" . It is similar with ipv6. If we
don't want to lose the last mapper in 'especially developing countries' we
should enable ipv6.

Regards,

Thomas