[OSM-talk] AAAA openstreetmap still doesn't use ipv6

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 08:43:20 BST 2009

--- On Thu, 2/7/09, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> > This is a bad idea. Do it right or do it not.
>
> ... has never been OSM's attitude so far, so why change
> now. Honestly, I

Judging by my experience, there will be most likely be between 0.01% and 1% IPv6 traffic v IPv4 traffic, this of course will depend entirely on the regions most users are in. I don't see any issue in using a tunnel for this kind of thing since the volume of traffic is usually so low.

> get the feeling you're on a personal crusade here for

I get that feeling too, I'm all for IPv6 adoption, and have been hassling various upstream carriers at different times, some of which have added services quietly and not bothered to inform me. It sucks when people turn things into a religious issue and go off on their high horses how everything should be done perfectly.