[OSM-talk] Making an offline OpenStreetMap CD/DVD ?

MP singularita at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:41:17 BST 2009

>  I'm curious if it'd be better to pre-generate all the images before, and
>  then you're just serving static files, or if it'd be better to have some
>  sort of web server / database / the whole tile rendering shebang on there.

Pre-generating probably won't be the good way to go, I saw some
figures for OSM tileserver and tiles for whole world at largest zoom
were in order of several hundred terabytes (I think it was like 10^10
tiles for whole world) - though only tiny fraction of them are
actually generated and cached. You will end up with map of either
quite small area or map that is missing some of the zoom levels ....

Whole world dump (bzip2 compressed) is 6.2 GB, but for practical use
you have to convert it to some better format (large bzipped file does
not allow random access or queries like "return ways at this bbox"),
which will likely make the resulting file larger. Theoretically you
may fit on dual layer DVD with whole world, but I doubt it ....

If you limit yourself on one continent, you can probably fiot that on
a DVD quite fine.

Perhaps you can combine it - use pre-generated map for very high zooms
(whole world) and then generate the maps for the continent that is
present on the DVD on the fly (with some cache)

Martin