[OSM-talk] map with FF 3.5 geolocation und hostip

Bernhard zwischenbrugger bz at datenkueche.com
Fri Jul 3 11:54:27 BST 2009

hi all
> People care because it has been standardized and is being implemented
> by major players: http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html

Firefox, iPhone, Blackberry geolocation is a funny thing.
Easy to use.

But how does it work?
There must be somewhere a big database that stores the GPS locations of
millions of WIFI access points.

Where can't I find information about that.

I simply don't know if my map
http://www.khtml.org
gives the correct position to the users.

At the 3 places I tested it worked very well.

The error was less than 10m at 2 places, but sometimes it showed the
city center which is about 1km from here.
At the 3rd place the error was about 100m.

Does geolocation give the correct coordinates at your place?

Bernhard