[OSM-talk] AAAA openstreetmap still doesn't use ipv6

Russ Nelson russ at cloudmade.com
Fri Jul 3 13:47:04 BST 2009

On Jul 3, 2009, at 8:15 AM, John Smith wrote:

> I'm still scratching my head as to why this isn't possible to be
> honest.

It's possible, but it's pointless.  First, there is no IPv4 to IPv6
transition plan.  The two protocols don't coexist.  Second, unless you
have an IPv4 address, you aren't on the Internet.  Third, there are
MORE THAN ENOUGH IPv4 addresses to go around.  The problem is that
there is no price for IPv4 addresses.  They are priceless.  There is
no market for them.  Consequently, they are misvalued, misallocated,
and misplaced.

We need a free market for IPv4 addresses, just like we need a free
market for any scarce commodity.

Okay, NOW is it completely clear that this subject is not on topic for
the Talk list?

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson
russ at cloudmade.com - Twitter: Russ_OSM - http://openstreetmap.org/user/RussNelson