[OSM-talk] Mapping Photos

John McKerrell john at mckerrell.net
Sun Jul 5 15:47:01 BST 2009

On 5 Jul 2009, at 13:53, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> malenki wrote:
>> John McKerrell wrote:
>>
>> Speaking for me: Do you really want to show hundreds (or thousands)
>> of
>> often wiggly and blurred criss-cross shooten pictures of
>> housenumbers,
>> signs, shelters and other stuff?
>
> If it is georeferenced it is basically usable. As we already do the
> recognition of signs. The more training material the better. I'll take
> all stuff we have already collected in .nl for John at SOTM; I'll
> reply
> in private for the FTP upload.

Basically I see this type of project having a number of different
components, the 3D view, the storing and managing of the photos and
the original taking of the photos. What I've been concentrating on is
the storing and managing of the photos. I had seen openstreetphoto and
saw that you had looked at this but I thought you were concentrating
more on the aerial imagery. The sign reading software should be cool
so what I would be looking to do is to provide a large set of photos
that someone could run this software on when it's written. I've had a
slightly better look at the wiki now but I don't actually see where
people can upload photos, is this available yet as that was where I
was going to focus my efforts?

John