[OSM-talk] map with FF 3.5 geolocation und hostip

John Smith delta_foxtrot at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 6 11:02:23 BST 2009

--- On Mon, 6/7/09, Frankie Roberto <frankie at frankieroberto.com> wrote:

> The most obvious implementation we could do would be where
> users visit the slippy map without having a location set in
> their cookie. Currently we guess at a location via IP
> address, but it would be good (and not difficult) to use the
> geolocation API here instead, falling back on the existing
> IP-based method if the API isn't present or if the user
> declines to authorise permission.

Well my IP must say UK, because of instead of being anywhere near Australia the map defaults to the UK.

> P.S  The next step for browser-based map interfaces might
> be a compass bearing API - so that we can rotate maps to
> match the orientation of the user... :-)

I hope this is never made the default, because among other reasons from a technical point of view digital self calibrating compasses tend to get "stuck" around electronic and electric devices and anything else that generates an electromagnetic fields.

To get a G1 to reset itself you have to do big figures 8's in the air and look like a clown doing weird waving motions in the air at the same time.

There are apps that rotate maps on android and if you are moving they try to be responsive and you get sea sick watching the map go round in circles at time.