[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] License for OSM logo

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 12:06:06 BST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 03:01 -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> > On Jul 7, 2009, at 2:53 AM, Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) wrote:
> >
> > > The logo is also now trademarked. I'll raise this (and have also
> > > copied to
> > > Matt) as currently we don't have a policy on reuse of the logo.
>
> You'll need permission from Steve Coast first, as he is still listed as
> the Proprietor by the Intellectual Property Office.
>

> http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-find-number?detailsrequested=C&trademark=2500155
>
> A Canadian trade mark lawyer was surprised that the transfer from Steve
> Coast to the OpenStreetMap Foundation would take more than "a week or
> two".  Has this transfer slipped due to oversight, incompetence,
> redefined goals or some sinister Satanic Portal[1]

The transfer application form is currently with the UK Intellectual Property
Office and should get processed "any day soon".

It seems however that all that does is update the IPO's registry records.  A
separate assignment is required to actually transfer the IP from Steve to
OSMF.  This is in hand, and will probably be dealt with at Thursday's board
meeting.

80n