[OSM-talk] Mapping party suggestion for SOTM

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 01:52:04 BST 2009

A few months ago in some local news media a talking head claimed that
Amsterdam's Red Light District wasn't in central Amsterdam and
moreover that it didn't contain any Coffee shops, i.e. ones of the
type that'll sell you more than just beverages.

So of course I headed over to OSM to prove both of these to be
incorrect. Only to find to my disappointment that not only did the map
of Amsterdam not have an area (or even a POI!) for the Red Light
district, it also didn't have any sort of tagging schema for
aforementioned Coffee shops.

(Incidental after some searching around this is the best map I can
find showing those two features:
http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/Map.html)

So here's hoping that SOTM visitors to Amsterdam will be able to
rectify this situation.

The problem of coming up with a tagging schema for POIs applicable to
these two categories I leave to you.